Clothing is one of the three basic things that a human being needs. A sewing machine was invented to facilitate the processing of this basic thing from plain fabric to stylish outfits.
For those who have used it, they can attest that sewing is not only fun, but it’s also practical, saves money, and can help one make good enough money too.
If you are planning to buy one, whether for your personal use or for business, you need to pick a good sewing machine. This guide highlights the key aspects about sewing machines that a first-buyer should pay attention to. We have also listed the 5 best sewing machines to buy in 2017 to make your search for an ideal machine easier.
5 Best Sewing Machines Comparison
|Machine Name||brand||display||Price||Check Price !|
Brother cs6000i 60-Stitch
(4.5 / 5)
SINGER 7258 100-Stitch
(4.5 / 5)
JUKI MO644D Serger
(4.4 / 5)
SINGER 9960 Quantum
(4.3 / 5)
(4.6 / 5)
Types of Sewing Machines
- Mechanical Sewing Machines: Also referred to as manual sewing machines, these are types of machines that require you to manipulate most of their controls by hand. You need to use one hand to turn wheel and use the other to guide fabric under the needle. Mechanical sewing machines are used to handle simple clothing tasks like basic repairs, hems and crafts projects. When choosing such a machine, ensure that the machine has a round bobbin rather than a long bobbin. This will make winding easier for you. If you are an occasional sewer or an a budget, this type will be ideal for you.
- Electronic Sewing Machines: These types of sewing machines come with a built-in motor that controls most of the working parts. The parts controlled include the needle, the bobbin, and it also automatically feeds material to the machine beneath the needle. Modern electronic sewing machines come with an LED screen, touchpad controls, and an array of presser feet for tasks such as topstitching and piping. They also come with settings for numerous stitch types. Electronic sewing machines are ideal for frequent sewers or those who don’t mind spending more.
- Embroidery/Sewing Machines: These types of sewing machines are capable of handling all tasks that electronic machines handle. In addition to those tasks, embroidery sewing machines also have the ability to do embroidery and monogramming for projects such as pillowcases, bedspreads and garments.
What Kind of Sewing Machine Is Right For You?
There are various kinds of sewing machines and the most ideal one for you basically depends on your sewing needs. They include:
- Serger sewing machines: These kinds have the ability to power through basic sewing chores and help you finish touches on your sewing projects.
- Embroidery sewing machines: These kinds are perfect for creating quilt squares and monogramming pillows. Since most embroidery machines are only capable of doing embroidery stitches, you may need another kind of sewing machine for making straight stitches.
- All-in-one sewing machines: These are kinds of sewing machines that are capable of performing multiple tasks. They have the ability to embroider, while still providing straight stitching and serger options. All-in-one machines offer a professional level of quality, and usually come with a higher price tag attached.
What to Know before Buying?
- Your specific purpose of Sewing: You wanting to buy a sewing machine means that you need to perform a specific task with it. Therefore, you have to consider the major task you want it to undertake. Is it stitching, monogramming or embroidery? Do you need it for simple tasks or do you need to stitch heavy thick clothes? While there are sewing machines that are designed to perform almost all tasks, there are those good machines that are built for only one specific task.
- Sewing Capabilities: The number of functional features a sewing machine comes packed with significantly influences the performance and capabilities of that machine. There are those machines that come with automatic bobbin winders, cutters and needle threaders. There are also certain sewing machines that are programmed with numerous stitch patters, allowing for more intricate and decorative stitching. Furthermore, a machine with adjustable stitch length and width helps you to add style to your sewing project, and also adjust them to fit the type of fabric you are using.
Another aspect to consider as far as sewing capabilities are concerned is the maximum sewing speed a machine is able to reach. If you intend to do larger projects, choose a machine that stitches at least 750 stitches per minute. In addition to that, it’s important to consider the number of buttonhole styles a machine is capable of creating, as well as how it creates them. Choosing a sewing machine that has various sewing capabilities will help you to complete your projects more efficiently
- Size and Weight: A small and lightweight machine may be ideal for simple tasks, but you may need a big machine for sewing hard or heavy fabrics. Therefore, you have to consider the size and weight of a sewing machine to ensure that the one you get will handle the task at hand effectively. You must also consider those two aspects if you will be taking the machine from one location to another frequently.
- Accessories:To complete most sewing projects, you will need a machine that has several different accessories and tools. The more accessories a sewing machine has, the easier is it for you to manipulate your fabric and come up with many beautiful styles. You’ll find some machines with very few accessories and you will also come across some that have many accessories that you may not even need. The most important accessories include screw drivers, needles, seam ripper, spool caps, cleaning brush, and dust cover or case.
- Additional Features: It’s also crucial that you check out the features that will be vital for your tasks. In case you want a sewing machine that can sew and stitch heavy materials, you will need a machine with heavy metal frame and many stitching patterns. Some of the key features to look for include bobbin winder, presser feet, auto threader, speed control and auto bottom-holer. A machine with the ability to make buttonholes will also make your work a lot easier.
- Warranty and Support: It is of great essence that you choose a sewing machine that comes with a warranty. This is because sewing machines come with different parts and accessories, which may require maintenance. Majority of machines come with lengthy warranties attached. However, you should note that the electrical parts and accessories generally hold shorter warranties compared to the frame. You need to buy a sewing machine with a solid warranty in case you will need to replace some parts.
You will also need additional support for the complicated maintenance tasks that will need to be carried out. Most sewing machines come with an instruction manual that illustrate common procedures. Check out the sewing machine company website for information on technical support. Be sure to check their site for FAQs in order for you to find answers of most of the questions you might have.
5 Best Sewing Machines to Buy in 2017
Brother cs6000i 60-Stitch Computerized Sewing Machine
This is an affordable option for those who want a sewing machine that can effectively create, sew and quilt. It’s highly versatile and comes with many accessories that enable you to undertake a wide range of quilting and sewing projects. It offers up to 60 built-in sewing stitches, which include decorative stitches and seven styles of one-step buttonholes.
It also offers you the liberty to choose from the 9 included presser feet, and gives you access to the detachable, big-sized table for larger projects. Brother cs6000i is also created with ease-of-use in mind, as it features an easy-to-view backlit LCD display. It also features an automatic needle threader, adjustable sewing speed control, as well as a printed instructions guide.
- Easy to use.
- Comes with many useful and easily accessible accessories.
- Has a simple-to-use and easy-to-read LCD display stitch selector.
- Adjustable stitch length and width.
- Variable speed control for efficiently adjusting sewing speed.
- Comes with an integrated free arm for sewing sleeves and cuffs.
- Projects bright light to the sewing area making it easy to sew dark fabrics.
- It’s Jam resistant.
- Oversized table offers extra space for large projects.
- It’s unfavorably lightweight, thus problematic when sewing large, heavy fabrics.
SINGER 7258 100-Stitch Computerized Sewing Machine
Singer is a name that has remained synonymous with sewing machines for a very time. No list of best sewing machines is complete without the mention of one or several SINGER machines. SINGER 7258 debuts at number two in this list, thanks to the many incredible features and sewing capabilities it possesses.
It features a total of 100 built-in stitches for all types of sewing, including fashion sewing, decorative sewing, heirloom and crafts. This computerized sewing machine has an electronic auto pilot that eliminates the need for a foot pedal when sewing. The Singer 7258 sewing machine is an excellent sewing machine for beginners.
- Automatic needle threader allows easy threading.
- Easy-to-load top drop-in bobbin system with clear cover.
- LED display screen with automatic stitch length and width.
- LED light illuminates sewing area for optimal viewing.
- 7-fully automatic, perfectly-sized integrated buttonholes.
- Programmable needle up/down.
- Speed control with start/stop button.
- Heavy duty metal frame keeps the machine still.
- Small in size, thus not ideal for sewing large and heavy pieces of fabric.
JUKI MO644D Portable Serger Review
MO644D is a 2/3/4 thread serger that comes with a multi-purpose foot for sewing a broad range of stitches and products, including elastic and tape. It also features a wide range of optional presser feet available for gathering, piping, blind stitching, cording, etc. Also featured is a powerful knife system with dedicated drive mechanism that makes the machine easy to use. This small-sized and lightweight serger is easily portable, and it is capable of sewing light to medium weight fabrics.
- Pretty quiet and runs smoothly.
- User-friendly manual with detailed pictures and methodologies.
- Color-coded threading labels.
- Adequate supply of useful accessories.
- Suction cups keep the machine in place.
- Small sewing table, thus not ideal for sewing large and heavy fabrics.
SINGER 9960 Quantum Stylist 600-Stitch Sewing Machine
Besides coming with high-end features that perform sophisticated functions, this 600-stitch computerized sewing machine also features smart technology that make it extremely easy for you to finish your sewing tasks.
Some of the useful features include a programmable needle up/down, LCD screen, automatic tension, drop feed, extra-high presser foot lifter, warning animation, slow sewing speed option and twin needle control.
Also integrated are electronic auto pilot and speed control that provide total control of sewing speed, making it easy for to sew difficult-to-sew areas.
- It’s easy to setup and use.
- Has an easy-to-navigate touch screen.
- Has tons of useful features and accessories.
- Has a big-sized table that provides ample space for sewing.
- Ideal for large and heavy fabrics.
- Has numerous stitches and many needle positions.
- Very heavy, thus not very portable.
Brother XM2701 Lightweight Full-Featured Sewing Machine
Brother XM2707 is another versatile and easy-to-use sewing machine that is ideal for a wide range of everyday sewing projects. It comes with a total of 27 distinct built-in stitches, which include stretch stitches, zigzag, blind hem, decorative stitches, and one-step auto-size buttonholer for faultless buttonholes.
It also comes with easy-to-use features, including a jam-resistant top drop-in bobbin, integrated needle threader and a brightly lit LED work area. The machine is also accompanied by a bilingual user manual plus an instructional DVD. This makes it easy for beginner sewers to easily set up the sewing machine and get the work done.
- Lightweight, thus portable.
- Comes with an easy stitch selector.
- Has an easy to wind bobbin.
- LED light is bright enough to illuminate working area.
- Quick start guide is easy to follow.
- Pressure foot is not adjustable.
- Pressure foot is poorly located.
- Doesn’t come with a handle, thus difficult to carry.
- Singer and Brother are long-established and well known brands, and it comes as no surprise that their sewing machines are considered to be among the best on the market. While mechanical models are still readily available and at affordable prices, you can take advantage of what electronic and embroidery/sewing models have to offer. Be sure to identify the features and accessories you most need for your sewing projects to ensure that you do not have to pay more for what you don’t need.