clizzy Over the last few year’s Improvements in the miniaturization of audio tech has led to an increase in the popularity of in-ceiling speakers, providing the ability to reduce the amount of floor space taken up by sound systems without compromising on audio quality. In this article we’ll weigh up the Best In-ceiling Speakers solutions of 2017. Benefits of the In-Ceiling Speaker.
In-ceiling speaker systems hold a number of distinct advantages over traditional home audio solutions. Hidden away in the ceiling, in-ceiling solutions take up no floor space, as well as leveraging the ceiling cavity to deliver superior resonance and audio quality. Concealing potentially dangerous wiring and reducing clutter, Best In-ceiling Speakers take advantage of unused space.
How Do In-Ceiling Speakers Work?
Best In Ceiling Speakers Comparison Guide
|Name||Technology||Output Power||Price||Check Price !|
Polk Audio RC80i 2-Way
(4.4 / 5)
(4.7 / 5)
Pyle PDIC60 In-Ceiling
(4.6 / 5)
JBL SP8CII 2-Way
(4.4 / 5)
Klipsch R-1650-C In-Ceiling
(4.8 / 5)
What to Know before Buying Best In-ceiling Speakers
In order to ensure you’re getting the highest quality and most cost-effective solution possible, there are a number of factors to keep in mind when choosing an in-ceiling speaker system.
- Frequency response:by far the most important factor is sound quality, dictated by the frequency response of the speakers. The human ear is able to detect frequencies from 20Hz low bass tones to 20,000Hz, the highest treble tones. Choosing a system that is able to reproduce this range the best sound quality possible. A good speaker solution will also have enough power to deliver audio loud enough for any situation.
- Sensitivity rating:speaker sensitivity is dictated by the ability of the speaker to convert power into sound, with a good standard sitting at around 1 watt/1 meter— meaning a microphone placed one meter away from the speaker should be able to detect one watt of sound broadcast by it.
- Controls:Volume control & appearance are secondary factors that are often overlooked, but critical in user experience and matching the decor of your home.
- Resistance:Moisture resistance is a critical element of in-ceiling systems as the ceiling cavity of a home can become damp in some environments. If you’re installing in-ceiling speakers in a bathroom or kitche, it’s important to look for moisture-resistant solutions.
- Installation:Ease of installation is critical for anybody considering installing their own system. A simple, easy to install in-ceiling system will provide templates for cutting mounts into drywall and simple cable runs.
- size:Subwoofer size plays an important role in the low frequency response of your home theater system. For the best experience, look for at least a 12” woofer for immersive sound quality.
5 Best In-ceiling Speakers 2017
Polk Audio RC80i 2-Way In-Ceiling – best buy in-ceiling speaker
The Polk Audio RC80i is our pick for the best buy in-ceiling speaker for 2017. Featuring a two way system with high resolution timbre-matching, the RC80i is durable and moisture resistant, safe for use in any home environment. With a frequency response of 35Hz – 20kHz, the RC80i sacrifices extremely low tones for crisp high-end range responses, and is easily installed with no additional assembly required.
Complete with a pair of speakers, two low profile grilles, and cardboard templates for simple installation measurements, Polk Audio offer a cost-effective and high quality sound solution that delivers enveloping audio imaging suitable for any home theatre system.
- Moisture resistant— can be installed in bathrooms, kitchens, and outdoor entertainment areas.
- Simple installation instructions and paintable grille for matching home decor.
- Flawless audio quality for mid range two-way audio system.
- Restricted low end response bottoming out at 35Hz.
- Open back enclosure on rear of speakers can gather insulation or dust in ceiling.
Yamaha NS-IW280CWH 6.5″ 3-Way – best budget in-ceiling speaker
As the best budget in-ceiling speaker of 2017, the Yamaha 3-way in-ceiling system offers features typically only available in higher-end solutions. With a 100 watt input capacity and swivel tweeter for wide audio dispersion, Yamaha offer a set of speakers with dual � inch dome tweeters that integrate Yamaha SoundMax technology for a crystal clear audio profile.
With a frequency response range of 65Hz – 28kHz, the Yamaha NS-IW280CWH lacks the bass response of subwoofer-driven systems but makes up for low-end shortfalls with high treble fidelity and a 85dB/2.83V/1m response range, making it an excellent economical choice with high end properties.
- Highly cost effective system that delivers excellent audio quality at a low price.
- Simple DIY installation and customizable grille options.
- Unique Soundmax crossover design provides effective sound distribution.
- Focus on mid and high range frequencies can limit bass response.
- Not recommended for installation in damp environments.
Pyle PDIC60 – Cheap In-Ceiling Speaker
The Pyle PDIC60 in-ceiling system provides an excellent solution for home theater enthusiasts seeking a cheap in-ceiling solution that doesn’t compromise on audio quality. Striking a balance between cost, quality and performance, the PDIC60 offers dual 6.5 inch speakers have the lowest bottom end response of the top 5 Best In-ceiling Speakers systems of 2017 at 70 Hz to 20 kHz, but make up for this shortcoming by providing a hug 250 watts peak power capacity.
With a directable 1” titanium dome tweeter providing a full featured and nuanced audio response, the Pyle PDIC60 offers big sound for small price.
- Huge 250 watt power provides dramatic audio profile at low cost.
- Simple installation needs no mounting brackets.
- Extremely competitive price point.
- Lack of rear enclosure can cause issues with insulation and moisture.
- Template for installation is somewhat smaller than speaker array.
JBL SP8CII 2-Way In-Ceiling Speaker
For home theater enthusiasts looking for a higher-end solution, the JBL SP8CII offers some of the highest quality components on the market. With a titanium laminate tweeter for excellent high end response and rubber surround to minimize distortion, the SP8CII has one of the best audio responses of the top 5 systems for 2017. Offering a frequency response of 32Hz – 20kHz from one of the smallest arrays on the market, JBL are an internationally-respected audio solution brand.
Incorporating Elliptical Oblate Spheroidal (EOS) waveguides into the swivel-mounted tweeters, the JBL solution provides targetable sound projection suitable for any theatre space.
- Dog-ear brackets allow for future retrofits.
- Optional rough-in frames.
- Extremely accurate frequency response.
- JBL Logo is permanently attached to front of grill, not suitable for all home decor.
- Perfecting sound balance requires some tinkering with audio levels.
Klipsch R-1650-C – Best In-ceiling surround sound speaker
The Klipsch R-1650-C is our pick for the best in-ceiling surround speaker of 2017. Delivering performance, reliability and high quality audio at an affordable price, the Klipsch R-1650-C creates a dynamic acoustic environment with a 6.5 inch polymer cone woofer. With a 57-20,000 Hz range and 150 watt peak, Klipsch have designed the ultimate in discreet home theatre speakers.
Moisture and rust resistant in all home environments, the R-1650-C utilizes coaxial polymer-dome tweeters to provide rich, clear treble responses over large areas, with exceptional base responses from the polymer woofer.
- Unbelieveable sound quality from small from factor speakers.
- Quality, comprehensive installation instructions & setup.
- Best features & sound quality at competitive price.
- Fine mesh of grille can be difficult to coat with standard house paint.
- Each speaker must be individually wired to amp or receiver.
- Overall, in-ceiling solutions provide a far superior alternative to traditional sound systems. Reducing floor space requirements and hiding cables out of sight, in-ceiling solutions offer all of the advantages of surround sound audio with none of the drawbacks. Easy to install and customize, in-ceiling solutions are a discreet and powerful way to enhance your home theater experience.